Friday, August 18, 2006

Boobs were not made to sell beer!!!

I've been meaning to post something about this for a while now. Recently, Babytalk magazine put out a cover that depicted a close-up of a baby breastfeeding. The photo captured the mother's breast as well. Much to my surprise (and others' I'm sure), many people were outraged by the sight of a breast on the cover of a family magazine. One woman said that she shredded up the magazine so that her son and husband wouldn't see it! A mother of a four-month-old baby said that she was sick of seeing a baby attached to a mother's boob!

Anyway, I'm really sick of all this hype about boobs. I just think it is so ironic that people in America have this Puritanical belief about boobs and fail to realize when boobs are being used for their intended purpose. Why is it so offensive to see a mother feeding her child the best possible food that the child could get? It makes me feel like we live in a culture where children are hated. Not fetuses, now --- everyone just looooooooooooves fetuses. But children --- not so much. We want to make them eat in bathrooms, we want the right to beat them, we want to control every aspect of their sad little lives.

Alright, that's my little rant, complete with a picture of my boob doing what it is supposed to do.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Well said! and your babe is cuuute!

Kulia said...

half sleepy milk drunk eyes on a nursling - the best!